Hamilton Research Institute
Geology and Geomorphology of the Hamilton Research Institute | Soils of the Rises | Soils of the Plains
A soil survey of the original 342 hectares of the Institute, then known as the Hamilton Pastoral Research Station, was published by J.W. Newell in 1962. Additional areas were subsequently purchased. In 1980, a further survey was carried out by J. Martin and J. Maher of the State Chemistry Laboratory, for the entire 1050 hectares of the then Pastoral Research Institute. This included a re-examination of the original 342 hectare area.
Soil workshop held for Hamilton Institute staff (May 2001).
|Information on this website is part of the publication: 'Major Soils of the Hamilton Pastoral & Veterinary Institute' by Imhof et al, 2001. The report aimed to provide further information on a range of the major soils across the Institute, using appropriate national standard descriptors, such as the Australian Soil Classification. The report formed the basis for a 'Soil Characterisation and Classification' Workshop held on May 3rd, 2001.||
Imhof, M., Ryan, S., Murphy, A., Rampant, P. and MacEwan, R. (2001). Major Soils of the Hamilton Pastoral and Veterinary Institute. Department of Natural Resources and Environment.
Newell, J.W. (1962). The Soils of the Hamilton Pastoral Research Station. Technical Bulletin 15. Department of Agriculture.